The National Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action takes place from February 1-5. BTU members at schools across Boston are organizing school-based actions and events to participate in. You can also mark you calendar for the following BTU-wide events:
- Monday, Feb 1 at 4:30pm. Connect and Share Kick-Off: "Yes We CAN Talk About Race." Learn more and register here.
- Tuesday, Feb 2 at 4:30pm. Testimony Prep Night: Learn about the BLM at School demands and how to turn your story into testimony for school committee or other governing body. BPS students are welcome and encouraged to attend! Register here.
- Wednesday, Feb 3 at 5:00pm. Tune into watch people testify about the week of action demands at the Boston School Committee meeting or sign up to testify yourself. More info here.
- Thursday, Feb 4 at 5:00pm. Ethnic Studies Now Committee open meeting. Registration link here.
- Friday, Feb 5 at 4:30pm. Year of Purpose Showcase! Join us to celebrate the 2021 BLM Week of Action. Register here.
For the fourth year in a row, BTU is taking part in the National Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action, which takes place this year from February 1-5. Check out blacklivesmatteratschool.com and the hashtag #BlackLivesMatterAtSchool for inspiration and resources at the national level.
See the BTU Black Lives Matter at School choice board for resources to bring the week of action to your school. Locally in Boston, we have been fighting for alternatives to suspensions and expulsions including restorative practices, ethnic studies, investing in more counselors in schools rather than more police in schools, and hiring and retaining more black teachers. We have also supported Congresswoman Pressley's Push Out Bill, we are advocating for foundation budgets, as well as #InclusionDoneRight.