BEAM cites five reasons for opposing the Superintendent’s proposals:
- The district has not provided requested detailed information about school vacancies or choices.
- The application of the criteria for school closings is not clear or consistent.
- BEAM is concerned about the profound impact that the proposed school closings will have on students and their families.
- BEAM is concerned about the ongoing issues of equity and disparate impact raised by the proposed school closings.
- A disproportionate number of the schools closings have occurred in the Black community
In addition, the paper calls on Mayor Menino “ who has said education is a top priority for his administration “ to increase funding for the Boston public schools.