|Contractual Dates and Deadlines||Description of Event|
Opening Day of School: teachers and paras have full six-hour day to prepare room, OR instead, can opt to make up their six hours between August 15
Day 2: First 30 minutes for BTU for union business; remaining 5:30 for
No school for students, staff
First day for students, except kindergarten
First day of kindergarten
Members of a School Site Council are to be elected by this date
A first meeting of the newly-elected School Site Council shall be held by this date
On or before December 1, the (School) Committee will determine when a
PD Day. No students. Day may be converted to PD hours by staff vote. (*)
In pilot schools, the proposed work schedule for an upcoming school year will be provided to staff by this date. The staff may override the schedule by a two-thirds vote. An override sends the work schedule back to the pilot's Governing Board for possible adjustment and tweaking.
Application deadline for leave of absence to commence at the beginning of the next teacher work year. Application deadline for extension of leave of absence scheduled to expire at the beginning of the next teacher work year. Application deadline to cut short a scheduled leave of absence and to return to work at the beginning of the next teacher work year. Please note: the January 15 deadline may be waived in extenuating circumstances. Please call the BTU for more information.
BTU staff at Turnaround Schools shall be given notice of any additional summer hours by this date.
BTU staff at Turnaround Schools shall be given their work-day and work-year schedule in writing for the upcoming school year by this date.
BTU staff at Turnaround Schools shall be given notice of their individual staggered start and end time for the upcoming school year.
BTU staff at Turnaround Schools shall be given notice of a change in assignment for the upcoming school year by this date. In any school, when implementing an inclusion model, the Principal or Headmaster must also notify impacted teachers by this date.
Application deadline for filing of alternate program areas for permanent teachers
All Schedule A schools shall be notified as to their start time for the
BTU Staff at Turnaround Schools and Pilot Schools shall be given notice of excess by this date, and they may voluntarily excess themselves by this date.
Teachers may voluntarily excess themselves using the PTPP process,
Programming preference sheets to be distributed to all teachers.
A list of all non-teaching assignments for which administrative periods
Principals will be required to make recommendations as to which provisional
No later than February 1, programming preference sheets shall be distributed to all teachers.
Deadline for submission of an additional program application if results of NTE
Positions that receive “Open Posting” status on the job transfer circular must
Teacher members of the school-site inclusion planning teams in traditional schools shall be chosen by the school’s faculty. Each Principal/Headmaster
Principals will be notified by February 15 if their recommendations for
In pilot schools by this date of a given year, there must be an approved
All preference sheets shall be returned by March 1.
The Superintendent shall make permanent appointment of provisional
For all PD hours, the ILT in each school shall hold a meeting with the faculty to solicit ideas for the content of professional development in the following school year.
Early April to early May
OPEN ENROLLMENT for Group Insurance sign-up. Please note this is not a
All involuntarily excessed teachers and nurses in non-Turnaround, non-Pilot
Within 10 days of the April 15 posting
The BTU may challenge the omission of a vacancy from the April 15 posting. The challenge must occur within 10 days of the posting. The challenge may be overridden by a 60% vote of the faculty of the school where the vacancy is challenged. Should the challenge not be overridden, the vacancy shall be
For teachers on leaves of absence… For those who respond by January 15 as to why they cannot make a decision at that time, they must send a response, postmarked no later than May 1, as to whether or not they
No final records will be required of teachers until May 1 for Grade 5, and 15 days before the close of school for all other grades.
Final marks shall not be required of any teacher before May 1 for Grade 8, and 15 days before the close of school for Grade 6 and 7.
The number of marking periods for all schools shall not exceed five (5) in
A permanent employee will be given written notice of layoff by June 1 of the
Provisional Employees must be given notice of non-renewal by this date or rehire is mandated under state law.
No later than 10 days before the end of the school year
Teachers shall be given the following information on their programs for the next school year:
No later than 5 days before the end of the school year
Teachers should receive their total program for the following school year,
(*) By June 15, 2015, each school will vote as follows regarding January 4, 2016, which is typically a no-student, PD day:
- Choice #1: School staff report to respective school for an all-day PD (currently allowed).
- Choice #2: School staff can vote to convert the six hours along the same lines as in the current BTU Collective Bargaining Agreement (currently allowed).
- Choice #3: School staff can decide to convert January 4 AND agree to participate in a new, citywide district-/union-run PD that will be offered on January 4, 2016. (The PD activities we plan for January 4 will be jointly planned by the BTU and the School Department. This is a new initiative.) If a staff votes to take advantage of the new district-/union-run PD on January 4, 2016, that satisfies the six-hour requirement for that day.
All three choices will be on a school ballot, and if no choice gets a majority vote after the first cycle, there will be a runoff vote between the top two choices. A majority vote will prevail and staff shall be obligated to work under one of the above three choices on a school-by-school basis.
Timelines for Performance Evaluation
(BTU Contract p.69)
A) Educators with PTS on Two Year Plans
Activity completed by:
- Evaluator completes unannounced observation(s); Anytime during the 2-year evaluation cycle
- Evaluator completes Formative Evaluation Report; June 1 of Year 1
- Evaluator conducts Formative Evaluation Report, if any; June 1 of Year 1
- Evaluator completes Summative Evaluation Report; May 15 of Year 2
- Evaluator conducts Summative Evaluation Report, if any; June 10 of Year 2
- Evaluator and Educator sign Summative Evaluation Report; June 15 of Year 2
B) Educators on Plans of Less than One Year
The timeline for educators on Plans of less than one year will be established in the Educator Plan.
20. Timelines (Dates in italics are provided as guidance)
Activity completed by:
- Superintendent, principal or designee meets with evaluator and educators to explain evaluation process: September 15
- Evaluator meets with first-year educators to assist in self-assessment and goal setting process. Evaluator submits self-assessment and proposed goals: October 1
- Evaluator meets with Educators in teams or individually to establish Educator Plans (Educator Plan may be established at Summative Evaluation Report meeting prior to school year): October 15
- Evaluator completes Educator Plans: November 1
- Evaluator should complete first observation of each Educator: November 15
- Educator submits evidence on parent outreach, professional growth, progress on goals (and other standards, if desired) January 5 (or four weeks before Formative Assessment Report date established by Evaluator)
- Evaluator should complete mid-cycle Formative Assessment Reports for Educators on one-year Educator Plans: February 1
- Evaluator holds Formative Assessment Meetings if requested by either Evaluator or Educator: February 15
- Educator submits evidence on parent outreach, professional growth, progress on goals (and other standards, if desired); April 20 (or four weeks before Summative Assessment Report date established by Evaluator)
- Evaluator completes Summative Assessment Report: May 15
- Evaluator meets with Educators whose overall Summative Evaluation ratings are Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory: June 1
- Evaluator meets with Educators whose ratings are proficient or exemplary at request of Evaluator or Educator: June 10
- Evaluator signs Summative Assessment Report and adds response, if any, within five school days of receipt: June 15