BTU Election Committee
The BTU Election Committee would like to inform the membership of our work to this point. While getting off to a slow start, we are off to a good start! We have met three times and have: elected our officers, agreed upon the work we must do to serve our members and have a timeline developed to implement the tasks we have recognized must be completed to insure full transparency. Starting in January, the Election Committee minutes will be available at each membership meeting. In addition, members will be able to access this information on the Boston Teachers Union website. The BTU election committee would like to thank the membership for its patience and support.
You May Not Need to Take a Whole Personal Day for Some Family Business, Because…
There is a Small Necessities Leave Act (SNLA) which provides employees 24 hours per year to use towards family obligations. This is a benefit provided under state law, which is additional to FMLA and does not run concurrent with any other type of leave or accumulated time. Employees may use available accrued time for this benefit.
Eligibility: Employees who have been employed for at least 12 months at BPS and who have worked at least 1,250 hours in the prior 12-month period (same requirements as FMLA).
- To participate in school activities directly related to the advancement of the employee’s son or daughter, such as a parent-teacher conference or interview for a new school;
- To accompany a son or daughter to a routine medical or dental appointment such as a routine check-up or vaccination; and
- To accompany an elderly relative (60 years or more) to a routine medical or dental appointment or for other professional services such as interviewing at a nursing home.
Length of leave and increments: Up to 24 hours during the last 12-month period, leave may be taken in increments of at least one hour for up to 24 hours in the last 12-month period.
Leave Notice Requirements: If the need for leave is foreseeable, employees must give the Office of Human Capital at least seven (7) days prior notice. If the need is not foreseeable, the employee must notify his/her Responsibility Center Manager as soon as practicable given the circumstances of the case. To the extent possible, employees must provide written notice of the need for leave.
Documentation: All employees must use the attached certification (page 6) to request a SNLA leave. Applying for this leave cannot be done through the Hub. The original copy must be submitted to the Responsibility Center Manager who will forward it to the Office of Human Capital.
All Three BTU Officers Announce That They’ll Not Seek Re-Election in June
Last Tuesday we heard from BTU President Richard Stutman that he’ll not be seeking re-election this June. See the Globe report. On last Wednesday’s BTU membership meeting, both BTU Vice President Patrick Connolly and BTU Secretary-Tresaurer Charles Johnson announced that they also will not be seeking re-election to their respective positions.
$1,500 Early Notice for Resignation/Retirement Incentive Out; Deadline January 13, 2017
In order to assist hiring for the 2017-2018 school year, the Boston Public Schools is offering a one-time incentive for early notification of termination to members of the BTU Teachers’ Unit. To qualify:
- An individual must be a permanent BTU Teacher, have a minimum of ten (10) years of continuous service in the Boston Public Schools, and must meet the minimum age requirement of fifty-five (55) years.
- Eligible employees presently on paid or unpaid leave of absence can apply.
- The application, once accepted by the Office of Human Capital by execution of the Separation Agreement, is binding on both parties and irrevocable.
- Applicants understand that the termination must be effective between June 30, 2017 and August 31, 2017.
Children’s Holiday Party
You’re invited to attend the Children’s Holiday Party at the BTU! The event will take place on Wednesday, December 28 from 12-2 PM. Tickets are available for pickup on a first come, first serve basis! Please see the flyer for information.
BTU Nights at the Garden
Two BTU Friday Nights with the Celtics: Please join us to see the Celtics take on Philly on Friday, January 6 or Orlando on Friday, January 27. See the flyer for all the information you need.
The Boston Teacher’s Union regrets to inform that P. Koz Egersheim, husband of retired teacher Susanne Egersheim from the Marshall School, father of well-traveled music teacher PK Egersheim, and father-in-law of Henderson Occupational Therapist Irene Egersheim, has passed away. Koz was a frequent volunteer and friend to all at the Marshall School. He was quick to help anyway who needed technology assistance or any assistance at all. He was genuine, sincere, and kind. Please see Koz’s obituary.