2017 Summer Institute for Evaluation Assistance
The BTU will run the sixth summer institute for educators who are having evaluation issues. This is a week-long institute that will run from 8:30 to 12:30 daily from Monday, July 31 through Friday, August 4 at the BTU. This program is designed to provide individual attention to the specific issues and prescriptions in members’ evaluations. Fellow BTU members will work with other educators to address their concerns and hopefully assist them in obtaining a rating of Proficient in the coming school year.
Take advantage of resources that are available to you to resolve evaluation issues! Please register today.
In order to be properly prepared for this institute, please bring:
- A copy of your teacher performance evaluation
- An exemplary lesson that you have taught
- A lesson that you would like to improve
- Your school’s SMART goals (check your school’s website)
- Any personal or professional goals
- Your laptop
News from Peer Assistance and Peer Assistance & Review
Need some coaching and support? If you received a less-than-Proficient evaluation rating this year, you may be eligible for expert coaching and/or evaluation support from the PAR program. Visit bostonpar.org/about to find out more about PAR. Or go to bostonpar.org/enroll to set up an initial meeting.
OR Sign up for a Peer Assistant: You may be eligible to receive confidential support, feedback and individualized coaching from the Peer Assistance program. PA is open to permanent teachers who are currently on a Directed Growth or Improvement Plan. Enroll in PA at My Learning Plan in the “Forms” section.
BTU Appointed Committees and Positions
After each election, the BTU President appoints new members to standing committees and positions. Some of these committees include:
- The BTU Health and Welfare Fund Trustees
- BTU Legal Fund Trustees
- Paraprofessional Health and Welfare Fund Trustees
- Boston Union Teacher (BTU newspaper) Co-Editors
- Boston Union Teacher Editorial Board
- The Negotiating Team
There may be an undetermined number of vacancies in each of these committees. If you are interested in serving on one of these roles, please send a letter of interest to Patty at email@example.com with the name of the committee or role in the subject line.
Fingerprinting and CORI Follow Up
Update: We have heard that many members received notification that their information is missing despite having submitted forms previously. Please be sure to keep copies of your documentation in the event that they are needed in the future. It is clear that the current information is not entirely up-to-date, but ALL educators need to make sure that completing both the CORI form and fingerprinting is a priority. This is very important.
This information comes from OHC:
Extended deadline for form completion: Friday, June 16 at 5 PM. If you haven’t been fingerprinted, you must be fingerprinted by June 30.
- Fill out the CORI Authorization form.
- Fill out the Fingerprint Response form (you should complete this form even if you have not yet been fingerprinted).
Listed in error? Employee MUST complete the required electronic form, and they will be immediately removed from the out of compliance list. OHC cannot remove anyone from the list unless they have completed the required electronic form.
- Employees must complete the electronic form.
- No paper or emailed CORI forms will be accepted.
- No paper or emailed Fingerprinting receipts will be accepted.
- Form can be accessed from most cellular devices or tablets running Android or Apple iOS.
- A computer is available at every school and in the Office of Human Capital.
If you are having trouble accessing the Fingerprint Response form because you are not logged into your BPS account, use this link: tinyurl.com/bpsfingerprint2
- CORI Authorization: tinyurl.com/bpscori
- Fingerprint Response form: tinyurl.com/bpsfingerprint (BPS login required)
- Fingerprint Response form: tinyurl.com/bpsfingerprint2 (BPS login NOT required)
The BTU is saddened to share that Mary Macchi passed away on Sunday, June 18. She was an apple-award winning BPS teacher for over 30 years spending time at the Bates, Mozart, and the majority of her time at the Hennigan. Mary’s grandson, Michael, is a teacher at the Phineas Bates. The wake will be held at Gormley Funeral Home in West Roxbury on Thursday night from 4-8 PM. Her funeral will be held on Friday at 10 AM at St. Theresea’s in West Roxbury.