We hope everyone had a wonderful April break! We have many updates to share with you as we round out the month and head into May:
- First, we want to welcome a third charter school to our union: City on a Hill New Bedford! Yesterday the teachers and staff there voted to join their colleagues at the two City on a Hill Roxbury schools, Circuit Street and Dudley, to join the BTU. We are thrilled to have them join us and are proud of their courage and unity. You can read more about the vote and watch a short video about why they voted yes.
- Second, in case you missed it, we wanted to congratulate all of the new Boston Educators of the Year (half of the awardees are active Building Reps this year as well!). Every year there are hundreds of nominations–it’s a testament to all of our educators who go above and beyond every day and make us #BTUproud.
- Next week, beginning on April 30, our BTU Unafraid Educators are kicking off the Unafraid Educators Week of Action. Please check out unafraideducators.org to learn more and get involved!
- May is also the start of APIA Heritage Month. There are a lot of great books to support the month on First Book. If you haven’t signed up for First Book, please do at firstbook.org/aft. Signing up helps us to bring free books to our annual book fair and gives you access to hundreds of free and discounted books as well.
- Lastly, please note that the BTU office will be closed on Monday, April 30 for a full staff retreat. The rest of the offices located at the BTU, including Eye Care and Health and Welfare, WILL be open.
Have a wonderful week!