It’s everyone’s hope in retirement to be secure and worry-free. Unfortunately, this is not the case these days. We are facing extremely tough times both economically and politically and there is much uncertainty and anxiety about what the future holds for working people.
We encourage all retirees to maintain your ties with the union and your colleagues by joining the Retired Teachers Chapter (RTC) of the BTU. Your monthly dues deduction ($5.00 for teachers and $2.50 for paras) will usually start a month after we receive your application for membership. Our membership year runs from September 1 through August 31.
You can receive your information packet with an application for membership by calling 617-288-2000 any Wednesday or Thursday between 10 AM and 2 PM. You must fill out an application to become a member. It is not automatic simply because you are retired.
We encourage you to keep informed and stay involved. Check out the links below. You can also browse job openings for retirees here.
- 2018 RTC Scholarships
This year the BTU Retired Teachers Chapter will award three $1,000 scholarships to high school seniors who are children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, grandnieces, or grandnephews of RTC members. Please note that one of these scholarships is earmarked for a student who wishes to attend a vocational school or equivalent institution.
To apply, please complete this application form and return it to the BTU office with the following:
- An official transcript of the student’s last two years of academic work
- A list of any extra-curricular activities the student has participated in and/or awards received (Please type this on a separate sheet.)
- Evidence of acceptance by an accredited college, junior college, vocational school or equivalent institution
- A one-page statement, written by the student, of his or her professional aspirations
- A copy of the College Board SAT Student Report or ACT.
The above documents are REQUIRED.
This application and all five supporting documents must be postmarked no later than April 2, 2018. Incomplete applications and those postmarked after the deadline will not be considered.
Mail or bring the application form and supporting documents to:
Boston Teachers Union
180 Mt. Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125
- Reminder: Eye Care Info
- Newest Retirement Information
- Retired Teachers Chapter Membership Benefits Overview
Click here for a full overview of membership benefits.
- Retired Teachers’ Membership Application
- Resources for Retirees
Click here for a full list of online resources useful for retirees.
- Upcoming Events for Retirees
Click here to find out more about upcoming events for retirees.