Apply to be a Summer Organizing Union Leader!
July 6-August 13, 2021
The BTU seeks 30 Summer Organizing Union Leaders (SOULs) to engage members in taking action for a strong contract and the resources our students deserve. SOULs receive training and coaching in effective organizing practices, including how to build community, share stories, and escalate a campaign. Throughout the summer SOULs will engage in conversations with BTU members and community members around the BTU’s contract campaign and education funding to lay the foundation for successful education justice campaigns. They will also participate in weekly training sessions to develop a deeper understanding of what it takes to build power and win the schools our students deserve given the current political and economic landscape. The application deadline is June 16.
- Attend the BTU’s Virtual Summer Organizing Institute from June 28-29, 2021
- Attend a minimum of 5 out of 6 weekly training sessions
- Support the BTU’s organizing efforts through connecting with members of the BPS community, leading workshops, and/or meeting with legislators
- Track and document information gathered from conversations and actions taken
- Must be a BTU member to apply. We are seeking a diverse group of SOULs: paras, RSPs, people of color, women and nonbinary, LGBTQ+, disabled folks and others encouraged to apply!
Compensation: $20/hour for 40-60 hours total over 6 weeks ($800-$1200)
Questions? Please contact Khalida Smalls, Director of Organizing at firstname.lastname@example.org.